Monday, January 19, 2009

The weather outside is frightful

But the fire is so delightful
So since we've no place to go
Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow....

My favorite snow memory in North Carolina was the time it snowed when I was a Junior in college. This would be the Winter of 2000...... It was quite a memorable January. First, I moved into an apartment in Chapel Hill with two girls because their third roommate had gotten married. The move-in, as I remember it, was fairly low key because they had all the furniture, and I just had to move my clothes and books. I remember my parents leaving that Saturday before school started, and me sitting around wondering what to do until classes started. So we went to a week of class, and then the weekend came. This was the first time I had been up on campus for a weekend, since I lived at home for the first two years of college. So I went to a party with some friends. When I came home, our apartment had been broken into. My parents came back up that Saturday to help us go through stuff and to move to an upstairs apartment. When my mom walked in, she looked at my roommates room and said, They ransacked this one! And my other roommate said, no, it always looks like that.... Then my mom noticed something in the tree...... a 4' long iguana! And that roommate has forever been known as "iguana girl". So we moved again. The next tuesday the big blizzard of 2000 hit, dropping 2 feet of snow (ish). School was cancelled for a week, but one of my professors cancelled class for two weeks because he lived out in the wilderness and couldn't get in to campus. By the third day my roommates had come down with cabin fever, so we risked driving in the streets that still weren't plowed to go rent some movies. After we got back home safe and sound with a pile of movies, we became very popular. Several apartments brought us baked goods in exchange for movies :) What more can you ask for? Sitting around, watching movies, eating brownies..... that is the life.  

Of course, North Carolina storms aren't always so much fun. The last time I remember we had a really good storm, it was an ice storm. My best friend had just gotten home from the Peace Corps and had come down to visit me. I think this was 2003, but I am having a hard time finding web evidence to confirm. She arrived, and that night the power went out and ice was hanging on the trees and powerlines. So we squished onto the loveseat under every blanket we owned to look at photos with a flashlight. That is a less than fun way to spend an ice storm. Then there was the time that half an inch of ice caused all the roads to shutdown so that it took people 5-20 hours to drive home.  

So what I am hoping for is that the prediction of 2 - 4 inches of snow tonight results in the fun kind of snow day. The kind we remember from elementary school. Mom making hot chocolate with marshmallows. Mittens sitting over the heating vent to dry. Snow men and fun sled rides. Being cold but not caring because you are having way to much fun. Or .... it could just involve working from home, sitting in a recliner, sipping hot chocolate.


Sorry, the picture uploading tool wasn't working tonight.

No comments: