Friday, January 2, 2009

Out with the old, in with the new

My internet decided to flake out the week before Christmas. Because of the holidays, I couldn't get it fixed until today. I think this was a blessing in disguise to reduce the chance of work needing me for two weeks. But it does mean I haven't posted for a while.

Holiday Recap
1. Sleeping in on Christmas morning. I really enjoy the fact that now my siblings are all old enough to not want to get up at 4 am, and there are no grandchildren to get up that early. It is so wonderful to sleep in til 8 am :)
2. Duke Chapel and an outdoor nativity.
3. Mom slaving away to make pies and turkey and tons of goodies so that I essentially spent the last two weeks eating every 5 minutes! The food was awesome, but I am glad to be back home to an empty kitchen and a bike to ride
4. The Beach. Wow! The house my mom rented was B-Awesome (if you haven't seen Bolt, see it!) The weather was typical gorgeous NC winter weather, 70 and sunny some of the time. It was a great couple of days.
5. My sisters coming home. I got to hang out with my sisters a couple of times which is a lot of fun. Especially Thai food, Panera, the car ride to the beach, and shopping.

So Long 2008
Weren't we just welcoming in the new millenium? Where has the time gone? When I was in school I used to think things began with the school year, so New Years didn't make much sense to me because it was in the middle. But now that I have been done with school for a while, New Years has become the beginning. At work this is especially true in our appraisals and project schedules. And since I have to recap my year for work, and set new goals for 2009, I thought I would copy Ryan Seacrest. Here is my top 10 list for the great things of 2008:

1. Chicago with my sisters
2. Skiing for the very first time
3. Fourth of July in Boone visiting Emily
4. Two weekends in Missouri to visit Emily
5. Nauvoo with G&G Reid
6. Dinners in Chapel Hill with Jamie
7. Charleston research trip
8. Wicked
9. Sunday dinner with my family
10. Movies, Restaurants, Redbox, So You Think You Can Dance
(11. Got promoted at work.... almost forgot about that :) )

Hello, 2009!

I couldn't help but feel as I rang in the new year that this year is my year. I have always been a big believer in "milestone" birthdays, so maybe I feel this way because I turn 30 this year. Most of my New Years resolutions are fairly typical, but I don't want to embarrass myself by listing them out in case I don't get into a regular exercise routine.... oops :)

I am excited to have a roommate moving in this year. It has motivated me to clear out cabinets and closets and throw away useless stuff (as I think I already blogged about). Today I finished painting the bathroom, so I am finally completely ready for someone else to occupy the house with me..... well........ ok, not quite ready. I am savoring my last few days alone in my house, the peace and silence around me, my comfy chairs all my own, all the space being mine. If you have never lived alone, you probably think I am crazy, but McCauley Culkin had it right when he said, "When I grow up and get married, I'm living alone" (Home Alone). Also, I have not yet taken down the Christmas decorations. Taking down Christmas decorations is the last stand, the final straw that indicates you have to go back to work and real life. The vacation is over. I am not ready for it to be over. I guess that is the sign of a great vacation, when you want it to continue and you aren't quite ready to get back to real life.

I am excited about the vacations that are shaping up for 2009....... It is way fun to be an adult, and have adult sisters who also have jobs so that we can go to fun places :)

As for the rest of 2009..... I cannot say what will happen. Does anyone have a list of things they wanted to accomplish by the time they were 30? If I ever had one, I don't anymore. But I am sure this year will turn out to be different than I could have ever imagined.

4 comments:

browneyedgirl said...

so did the ham radio arrive in time?

elizabeth said...

this is me officially complaining that you didn't tell me about your blog (or did you and I forgot?? very possible). either way, I found it now and I am a fan!

elizabeth said...

p.s. what a great post. you have inspired me to be optomistic and hopeful for the new year.

Heather said...

Yes, the ham radio arrived in time, whew!

Liz, I truly thought you knew since I posted stuff I assumed you would read. Oh well.