Tuesday, July 21, 2009

She's a Brick House

Triathlon training is going a lot slower than I thought it would.  I don't know why I thought I would be Lightning McQueen, but I am not.  So while I don't like to embarrass myself on my blog, I thought I would share so that hopefully when I finish the triathlon I can look back and see how far I have come.

Swimming
I couldn't remember how to breath doing freestyle.  Thankfully, I have very talented sisters who swim like fish.  So I got a tutorial.  It did help, but I am not immediately a great swimmer.  My current time is 15 minutes for 10 laps, only 2 laps in freestyle, the rest in breast stroke because I can't do more freestyle.   




Running
Thanks to a friend, I now can calculate my route and distance (google pedometer). So I can run/walk 2 miles in about 35 minutes. Yeah, ok, it is mostly walking.  I run for a block, and then I walk for 2 blocks for the first mile, and the second mile is mostly just walking.



Biking
My bike sits inside on a trainer, so I had forgotten how amazing it is to ride outside with the wind in my face.  It was awesome!  But once again, I realized how slow I am.  My sister says she can ride the bike at the gym and go 15 miles in half an hour or something like that, and I rode 6 miles in 40 minutes.  So I am way way slow, and I need to add another mile to the bike.   

This means my total current triathlon time is an hour and a half.  I think you have two hours to finish it, so at least I think I can finish time-wise..... now the real question is, can I do all three activities in sequence?  This week to the training routine I add Bricks, a day where I bike and then run in order.  Whew! I am tired thinking about it.  But my mom keeps reporting how great she is doing in her training, so I gotta keep up.

3 comments:

browneyedgirl said...

You can do it! Keep up your hard work!

Carla said...

15 miles in 30 minutes is pretty fast! I am skeptical of this sister... who is it? I'd say 3 minute miles is more reasonable and outdoors with hills and all I average 4 minute miles over extended distances.

Heather said...

Ah, see 4 minute miles on the bike... I am nowhere near that. All of my sisters are faster than me :)