Monday, July 27, 2009

A realist masquerading as a cynic who is secretly an optimist

So I like to think that a majority of the time I am a realist.  But my family has told me some of the time I am bitter, but this post is for the hopeless romantic in me.  You are warned, so you can skip it.

This weekend I went to a Young Single Adult conference with some friends.  It was in Wilmington, so our backup plan was to hit the beach if it wasn't fun.  So the conference was only for Saturday, but we decided to make a weekend out of it.  So we drove down Friday night.  Roadtrips are awesome.  So the point of going to a singles conference is to meet people, but as I have mentioned, often my job makes guys heads explode.  So we decided I would be a kindergarten teacher for the weekend.... a 25 year old kindergarten teacher.  So we got up saturday to go to the conference.  Turns out it was a lot of fun.  We did a service project in the morning, and I met a bunch of people from my sister's ward.  This made it impossible to say I was a 25 year old kindergarten teacher, because then if they told my sister they saw me, it would be awkward when she said, what? I don't have a sister who teaches kindergarten.  Apparently I have an honesty streak in me.  It was so funny because they were like, Oh we love your sister, she is so great, can you tell us embarrassing stories about her?  And I said, no, there aren't any, and they were like, oh that figures.  But one of my friends went to school with one of the Chapel Hill people, so I got introduced, and we chatted.  Apparently the whole IBM thing is not intimidating to someone who works at Duke.  Nice.  Then we had lunch, and the workshops.  Then we got to go to the beach.  It was such a gorgeous day, and the water was perfect!




The best part of the conference was the dinner cruise.  If you are a fan of the office, then imagine Michael Scott's Booze Cruise, but without the drinking.  



So during the dinner cruise they were playing music and had a dance floor.  At first, not many people were dancing, but then it got a bit more crowded.  So I was sitting at one table eating dinner, and I decided to get up and throw my food away and try to move to where the guy I had been talking to earlier was.  So as I was getting up and moving, he was moving to where I had been.  Then my friend was like, uh... he's over there..... So I walked back over to that table, and was kind of wondering if I should ask him to dance, when he asked me.      






I also tried to find the video for Anastasia dancing, and Ariel dancing, and basically, every great dance scene from the movies.  Ok, so it probably wasn't like that in reality, but it was fun.  Then the boat cruise ended.  My friends and I went back to the beach to swim in the water.  We stayed for church, and then went out to the beach for a couple of hours before heading home.  So I had a great time, and would totally recommend YSA conferences, especially ones at the beach.

3 comments:

browneyedgirl said...

I was in DE this weekend too, just not where you were. Glad you had fun!!!

Carla said...

Haha I love lying about major life facts... Who cares if jamie has to deal with the confusion!

Meredith and Abe Fish said...

Sounds like a great time. Lies are tricky to keep straight anyway and who wants a guy that is turned off by an amazingly smart woman. You don't need a guy like that anyway. ~Meredith