Sunday, September 14, 2008

These mashed potatoes are so creamy

While You Were Sleeping is my all time favorite movie. (I actually had no idea this came out on my sister's birthday until I looked up the IMDB page). The ward was having an activity at one of the local parks, the cool park with three really great slides, tire swings, and bouncing bridges. In case you live in the area: Black Hills Park. I was a sophomore in high school. There were some girls who were a year ahead of me, and they were really cool. They invited me to go see a movie with them, leaving the ward activity. My mom said yes. Of course, you know how cool that made my mom! I was thrilled! The movie was great. When it came out on video (yes, it was video back then.... I didn't switch over to DVDs until college) I got it, and would watch it all the time. It was my comfort movie, the movie to watch when I was sick, or when I wanted to work on a cross-stitch project. The movie that gets quoted whenever we have mashed potatoes for dinner, or big family gatherings that are chaotic. It is the greatest movie ever. It is one of the reasons I love Sandra Bullock. She was great in this movie.

Of course, after telling you that great story, I would like to say that it could be completely false. For example, I was talking to my sister the other night and she was like, don't you remember? you saw Get Smart with me when you came to visit. and I said, no, I don't remember. And she said that it was raining, and we got soaked..... and I said, yes, I remember pulling into the parking lot of the theater and it was pouring rain, and we parked on the main street, so you said we wouldn't be able to get back out of that spot, and we ran, and you lost a shoe, and we were soaked, and everyone was crowded by the front door of the theater because they didn't want to get wet, so we couldn't get into the theater, and someone offered you $10 for the umberella and you said no, and they said $20...... and then you went to the bathroom to try to dry off, but there were no paper towels..... and we sat in the theater, but I have no recollection of what movie we watched. What I remember seeing in that theater was Superman, but that was probably the very first time we went to that theater. Funny how memories work....... or in my case, don't work :)

Which is what made it so funny in a class I took where I wrote a chapter of my own memoir, to have my family read it and correct all of my "false" memories....... or are mine right and theirs wrong?

So ..... if anyone really remembers what happened on the While You Were Sleeping story, let me know.

2 comments:

browneyedgirl said...

Well as you can see everyone remembers different things. :) Stories tend to change too when too much time has passed and you start to forget some of the details.

browneyedgirl said...

Oh and I forgot there's a great mashed potato line in the movie UHF, where he's making something out of mashed potatoes and says, "This means something!" Of course that movie had lots of parts from other movies...