Sunday, September 14, 2008

If this is torture, chain me to the wall!

In 1988 we went to visit my mom's aunt and uncle in New York for Thanksgiving. They were a cool family with a trampoline. I can't say when the tradition began, but my family always goes to the movies on Black Friday. This is the earliest Thanksgiving Movie trip that I can remember, and I am not exactly sure I am remembering it myself, or remembering the many times my parents have told the story. Oliver and Company had just come out, and we were really excited to go see it. According to my parents, we went to a matinee, and my dad walks up to the ticket counter and says he wants 15 tickets. This is way to much for the ticket counter to handle, because 15 is more than the fingers on both hands, and no one has ever bought 15 tickets before. A manager is able to hand my dad enough tickets for all of us. And then, according to the story, my dad tries to buy drinks. I will be honest, the entire time I have known my family, we have been "sneak the candy in your purse" kind of people. So I am kind of surprised that we bought movie theater priced refreshments. But according to the story, my dad tries to buy 15 drinks. Once again, this is more than the poor employees behind the counter can handle. They have to call in for backup, and it takes forever just to get 15 drinks poured, and then my dad can't carry them all. The movie was awesome, it had great music, and really quotable lines.
The movie going continues today with a much smaller group of people. Only one sister still lives at home, so the four of us went to the 1.50 theater to see Get Smart this past weekend. Yea, obviously in the last twenty years our tastes have changed.... slightly..... last weekend we did see Space Chimps. You know, they just don't make animated movies like they used to.

2 comments:

browneyedgirl said...

Yep my family had to sneak candy into the theater. My mom always gave us that look and then I knew the boys and my dad were all counting on me. Usually I just ended up upgrading to a larger purse. :)

I'm jealous you have $1.50 theaters!!!! How fun!

Heather said...

wait... you don't have 1.50 theaters!? man.... that isn't civilzation!