Friday, September 19, 2008

Driving a pink cadillac

My best friend in elementary school belonged to the girl scouts, and she invited me to a girl scout activity to learn how to put on makeup. What I remember is sitting at one of those long folding tables and someone showing us how to put on eye shadow, three different colors in three lines on our eyes. It was a very girly night.
My next encounter with makeup was during a trip to the outlet stores with my other best friend in elementary school and her mom. Well, maybe they weren't outlet stores.... it was the huge mall with Ikea in it. So in this mall there were a million stores, and one of them was one of those huge makeup stores were everything is cheap, so I bought some mascara. It wasn't until I got it home that I realized it was teal. I mean.... really teal. I had no idea mascara came in other colors than black until that point!
In high school Clinique was the was the cool thing, and after college Ulta became cool. But essentially, the only makeup tricks I knew were the ones I learned at a girl scout activity.
That is, until I was invited to a Mary Kay party. Now come on, you knew where this was going based on the title. I will admit, I was a skeptic. The last time I went to a party of this type, I had to move out of the ward to quit being stalked to host a party :) But this was seriously awesome! The Mary Kay consultant was very knowledgeable, and she had a ton of different tricks, and she seemed like a real person. Also, I didn't feel pressured to buy anything, and I learned how to put mascara on my bottom lashes so my eyes look more open. During a Mary Kay party, you compliment each other. It isn't fake, you really do provide feedback based on what colors or things look good on each person. And you get really soft hands. So I agreed to host a Mary Kay party, because I had such a great time.
My party was even better! Because I was the host, I got special treatment (read: more colors to pick from to try out! Seriously, imagine a binder with those little plastic inserts in it full of different shades of eye shadow and blush). So this time around I learned how to apply eye liner to the bottom lashes which makes my eye lashes look even longer! I also learned how to add dimension to my eye based on my particular eye shape and eye lid shape. Yes, there is an entire book that shows different eye shapes and exactly how to use colors of eye shadow to accent your eyes and bring them out. Amazing! This is a vast improvement over the makeup counters in the mall that put the makeup on you, and you can't ever recreate the look at home. Anyway I realize this sounds like an advertisement for Mary Kay, but I am in no way affiliated with them. I just had a really great time, and had fun learning new techniques to apply makeup. So next time you see me..... notice how gorgeous my eyes are :)

1 comment:

browneyedgirl said...

I'm sure I would if I yeah lived slightly closer...