Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Graduate School

You may or may not remember, but about six months ago I decided it would be a great idea to apply to graduate school as my 30th birthday present to myself. So I prepped for the GRE, and submitted applications. Since I got the applications submitted in early December, most of the six months has been spent waiting.

I got rejected from NC State, but they were my second choice, so I was still holding out hope.

I got called in for an interview at NC Central. It was so great to walk onto a college campus. The energy, the vibe, it is just indescribable unless you are like me and love to learn things and be in that environment. The interview was ok, I think I answered the questions fairly well. What amused me was I came in at the same time as another lady, and I was wearing flat shoes, slacks, and a button down shirt, and she was wearing high heels and a pencil skirt. Definately not the same style :)

They said they would be making the final decision after all the interviews were complete..... and the result is....

I got in! I am so excited!

Another fun thing I got to do instead of going to Germany (yes, eventually I am going to have to forgive that volcano for disrupting my vacation) was to attend an orientation for my program. I got accepted into the Career Counseling program, which is one focus in the larger counseling education masters program. The other two options are mental health and school counseling. What I learned at orientation is that career counseling is the least popular option. This bodes well for getting internships and jobs if there aren't alot of people to compete with. The main reason for this is career counselors don't have licensure, so apparently alot of people can do the job without the education or background in it. The rest of the orientation was fairly boring, just the usual rules and regulations and how to graduate. But I did get to talk to my advisor and get registered for classes.

So I think I will agree with a friend, 2010 is the Year of Yay!

2 comments:

Meredith and Abe Fish said...

That is great! I'm so excited for you. I'm sure it will be fun to be back in school. Is it just a one year program? ~meredith

elizabeth said...

Congratulations!!! When do classes start?