Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The District

I grew up in the suburbs of DC, on the Maryland side. When we moved to North Carolina, we went back to visit a couple of times. But then all my friends went off to college, and there was no one to visit.
My roommate decided to get a job in DC after college, so she lived in the Virginia side for several years. She still has many friends in the area, and goes up to visit a couple of times a year. One perk is that I get to go along with her.
The highlight of driving was arguing whether the GPS was right, since we kept correcting it.
Friday night we tried to find the National Christmas tree, but we arrived too late. So we stopped to see the Pentagon Memorial for 9/11. Unfortunately the signs were not clear, so we drove around the Pentagon and got pulled over because they wanted to know why we were driving around. Don't worry, we didn't get a ticket, but we did learn where to park. And then we walked through what is apparently a restricted area trying to find the Memorial.... another cop, this time on a little golf cart, directed us to the right place. You would think if they have a public access place like the Pentagon Memorial, they would make it easier for the public to get to without risking the security of the Pentagon. It was a cool memorial, but we couldn't find the names on the benches. So I think it warrants another visit. Then we went to a diner, where I got caramel strawberry french toast with cinnamon sour cream. It was good.
Saturday we got up and went to the DC Temple. It started to snow. Then we got lunch at the Olive Garden. Then we went to a ward christmas party. Then we got caramel apple cider at Starbucks. Then we went to see the National Christmas tree. Then we went bowling. Bowling was hysterical. I had a score of 40 until the 8th frame. Then a song my sister likes came on, so I was joking and danced down the aisle, and got a strike! Then I got another strike! Then I got a spare! I was not the loser of the game! I really wish I would have figured out that dancing was the way to win at bowling sooner. Then we went to a restaurant that reminds me of Indian food, but I am not sure that is what it was. It was tasty though, it had a cool cucumber sauce, and pork and chicken, and rice with chickpeas.
Sunday we made breakfast, crepes with fruit and sausage. I made the crepes, and everyone wanted to know how I make them come out so perfectly. The secret is patience. You have to watch the batter to know the perfect time to flip. I credit my dad with teaching me this skill (unless it was you, Mom, in which case, I am sorry I have alzheimer's and can't remember).
Then we went to church, and came home and ate pizza, and hit the road. I have decided all of my vacations revolve around food. As our hostess said, she eats better when we come into town :)

No comments: