Monday, March 2, 2009

Charleston... The America City

As you may or may not know, the title of this blog started with a class I took last year called "History or Memory". As part of that class, I wrote a research paper on Charleston, specifically how plantations are remembered, and how slavery is ignored or marginalized. So last year for spring break I got to visit Charleston. I recommend it, it is a great place to visit. But be sure to stay downtown so you can just walk around and see the sites. Anyway part of my visit was to go to a plantation that was working on restoring slave cabins to be part of their official tour. When I saw these cabins last year, they were falling apart. One cabin didn't have enough walls to attach the fireplace so it was being propped up by wood planks, and the termite damage was obvious, and there was no floor to walk on. Another cabin they were redoing the fireplace with authentic bricks. Another cabin had a bathroom that was not "period" that had to be removed. This year I was able to go down to Charleston for the opening ceremony.


News Article from Oct 20, 2008

News Article from Feb 22, 2009

Proof that Isaiah Washington was there

News Article from Mar 1, 2009

Pictures I took

No comments: