Saturday, February 7, 2009

I guess a new experience could be worth trying










Jamie started school at UNC Chapel Hill last fall.  I go to Chapel Hill every week for Orchestra, so we have been meeting for dinner.  During the fall, we hit most of the restaurants right on Franklin Street.  This spring I thought we could branch out before repeating a restaurant.  Last week we tried a really unmemorable new Italian restaurant.  At least we recovered by having some ice cream :)  I asked Jamie if she would be interested in trying Asian food, and she said she was up for it.  The reason I asked is because our parents are not big Asian food people, so I wasn't sure if she was interested.  But Jamie said she had tried Indian food, and enjoyed it, so this week we went to a Thai restaurant.  Thai food was introduced to me when I was a Junior in college.  I had flown out to Seattle to interview at Microsoft for an internship position.  I was taken to two Thai restaurants during the course of my interviews, so I think it is a pretty popular choice in Seattle.  Needless to say, I loved what I ate, and when I got home, I proceeded to try to find Thai restaurants.  My favorite one is in Cary now, but there are other ones that are good.  It was also a surprise to me when I realized that one of my other sisters liked Thai food.  So then whenever we would visit each other, we started having a Thai dinner night.  Needless to say, I was hoping Jamie would like Thai food so that perhaps we could eat it on occasion together.  At the restaurant in Chapel Hill we ordered Massaman Curry and Sweet and Sour stir fry so that Jamie could try a couple of different things.  I thought they were fantastic, but I was a little sad that Emily wasn't ordering the Massaman since that is one of her favorites.  Jamie said she enjoyed the food, so maybe when she is down in Cary, I will take her to my favorite place.

 




My roommate ran the Krispy Kreme Challenge last year and said it was alot of fun.  
The motto: 
2400 calories
12 donuts
4 miles
1 hour

The basic premise is you run 2 miles to the Krispy Kreme store, eat 12 glazed donuts, and run 2 miles back to where you started.  This is the first race I have ever participated in.  I am not a runner, but I thought..... donuts..... and signed up.  Also, it does benefit charity.  Yea, you are probably thinking, "The Biggest Loser doesn't need more contestants", or that this would be a great challenge to win immunity.  Anyway what I learned alot from this event. 
  1. There is a reason people train for races
  2. Donuts do not smell as good when you have run/walked 2 miles to get them.  They smell better when you are in a car.
  3. People run in very interesting costumes.... Dressed as donuts, Dressed like Olympic divers, Dressed like Superman.... 
  4. Going downhill is easier than going uphill
  5. There are some pretty bungalows in Raleigh, and lots of new condos
Will I do this again?  Well...... I was thinking of actually being the person who stands at the corner and says, "Good job! Keep running!" because I saw the police cruiser bring those people donuts.  And I bet they tasted really good when you are just standing on a quiet residential street in a gorgeous 60 degree day in February in Raleigh.

6 comments:

elizabeth said...

What?!?!? You did the Krispy Creme challenge!! We joked about doing it every year but never did it! No way!! How many donuts did you eat? Did you throw up? Did you run all 4 miles? That is crazy!!! GOOD JOB!!! Way to try something new. Holy cow, I am impressed.
Oh and I love Thai food too.

jamie said...

yay for thai food! and i also had chinese food tonight. man, i'm getting all sorts of asian experiences :D

and i'm glad the krispy kreme challenge went well! no throwing up, right?

Carla said...

oh sad i wish utah did cool things like the krispy kreme challenge... did you eat all 12? I think i could maybe eat 6

emily said...

Wow! Huge props! I read run two miles eat 12 donuts, and thought I would barf just thinking about it. Did you get them down?

Heather said...

Everyone: I did not manage to eat all 12.... in fact, the best I could do was eat one. It was really a gross scene at the krispy kreme watching people smoosh 6 together to cram into their mouths, and I was gagging just trying to find the water table! So I failed pretty miserably at eating the donuts.
I ran the downhill parts, and speed walked the uphill parts. I don't think that really counts as running. Hence my comment about training. You really do need to practice to run 4 miles.
I didn't throw up, but I saw several people do it, including the guy in front of me at the finish line..... Yea.... gross..... I didn't want to eat too many and throw up because I am sure that would taint me and my love of Krispy Kreme's forever!
@Jamie - was it the buffet kind of chinese and was it good? same franklin st place you went to a couple of weeks ago?
@Carla - does Utah have krispy kremes? You could start a run like this.... it started about 5 years ago with a couple of college kids just daring each other to do it, then people heard about it, and it got big.

jessamyn said...

I love the Krispy Creme story!!! They do the funnest things in North Carolina!!!