Thursday, October 9, 2008

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish

HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy Series

Life changes. People move away. And frankly, I am tired of it. I think I was meant to be born in a time when everyone for 5 generations of your family lived in the same small town, all the neighbors had lived there their whole lives, and your best friend lived next door and never left. I know..... there are alot of people I wouldn't have met had my life actually been lived in such a town, but here me out. This year close to everyone I really liked having around have moved because of jobs. Which is a great thing for them because a job is a wonderful thing to have. But this blog is not about them and how great their opportunities are, and how fortunate they are. It is about me, who gets left behind to only have phone conversations and miss them. You know, you can feel homesick when you are the one left at home. In my class last semester we read several articles about homesickness and whether it was a disease or a mental state. What I can say for sure is that it has nothing to do with a place, and everything to do with people. So for all you people who have moved, know you are missed. Of course, I will also say that I have vacation time, so there is a perk to people moving away, it gives me new places to visit, and I have really enjoyed the visits I have gone on so far, and am looking forward to some new trips :)
Just because people move does not mean you won't see them again. You might think you never will. It might take 10 years, but sometimes things just work out. I have a best friend that has been my best friend for over 20 years. We grew up together, and I moved away, and you would think after college you wouldn't necessarily keep up, but then she moved to where I lived, and it has been fantastic. I have really enjoyed being friends as adults. So even though we won't live in the same state for a while, you never know.
So here's a shout out to friends that really do last a lifetime:

Jan 7 1991 Monday
This year Liz and I have decided to give little presents to 1 kid each month. For instance, O.B. (Oliver) is for January. We gave him a pinball machine, a chinese yo-yo, and another thing which I forget. We are going by secret names like Birthday Blastors and Halloween Haunters.
Today Liz and I practiced spying. We're pretty good.
We threw snowballs at Terek and Shane. Then Liz and I ran down to her house because the boys were hot on our tails. I started to build a fort. Large enough to hold Liz and I but small enough not to get a breezy chill. Liz held off the boys, who weren't that hard because they couldn't aim. I finished the fort in about 20-25 min. and I'm not lieing. I really hope there is no school, or at least a late opening or early closing. I really can't stand school!

3 comments:

browneyedgirl said...

Now you know how boring homeroom was for me after you moved away!

Carla said...

ha ha to think you were 12 when you wrote that... anyhow, i totally agree! I think it's much easier to be the one who moves rather the one who gets left behind.

elizabeth said...

wow, crazy flash back. now Oliver would surely catch me and pound me and he could out run me like 10 times (although I realize not the point of the post).